Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Bird nest/Kickball

After being on house arrest due to flooding this weekend my boys are all about outside. Fine with me. When I was younger playing outside meant finding whatever I could to entertain myself & doing it for hours. Because if I bugged my parents I had to come back inside. My kids however need a referee & help deciding what game to play. "Where is this ball?" & "I want that bike." They're in & out so much it hardly qualifies as playing outside. It's more stand-at-the-back-door-whine-fest. Anyway, the highly competitive game of kickball began like any other. Soon enough I was called to get the ball out of our neighbor's yard & then it was stuck in a tree. Really stuck. The little tykes plastic shovel wasn't going to cut it this time. Reid found the step ladder & when he lifted his head into the branches he discovered a nest. He knows I collect them so he stuck his hand in it & jerked it back quickly. "Momma the nest has an egg in it." I went up to investigate & saw that sure enough he was correct. One tiny perfect egg. I told them to move away & be careful because there was a baby in there. They quietly stepped back & stared at the tree. As soon as we moved away what I presume was the Mama bird came back quickly. They all took a vote & decided to leave the ball there to provide extra shelter for the baby. And to be honest Mama bird was giving us the evil eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment