Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Bragging rights

My oldest son Reid is about to be 10. The countdown has begun. In his short life there have been many things for me to brag about. He talked early, he's smart & I've heard many times..handsome. I agree with all of these things. But lately there is one comment I'm hearing that makes my heart leap more than anything. "I had no idea. " It's the response to many people seeing Reid & watching him participate in several activities like a normal kid. After they've learned he has Asperger's. A form of Autism. I have never been more proud of anything in my life. Reid worked so hard & went through so many things in the past 2 years. Physical therapy, ABA & medication changes. If the simplicity of those words imply ease I can assure you it was no small task. Physical therapy was a grueling, everyday task that was a true endeavor. ABA was a necessary evil. And the medication switch sent our family into a year long nightmare. But I can honestly say that my prayers & his were more than answered. For him to be able to play & go to school like "a normal kid" is nothing short of a miracle. Reid being on a 1st place baseball team & making A's is all music to my ears. But having someone tell me that he looks like a normal kid is literally the best thing I could ever hear. Normal never sounded so wonderful. I'll take it.

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't have had any idea. And you are clearly doing an awesome job as a mom and his advocate.

    ReplyDelete