Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Some High School kids aren't useless

**ANNOYING ALERT: I will randomly drop the word cool several times.** I'm not cool anymore. I digress, I'm not 9 year old cool. I don't even know which Puma's are ugly & which ones are awesome. Shoe shopping with my son has taught me a few things. A- Guys do care about shoes. B- They get so overwhelmed one pair is all they can handle at a time. C- They truly have no clue about the cost of a shoe determining the look of said shoe. Reid likes all white. He knows I will not budge on this so he tries to pick shoes with the most visible section of white. For some reason white leather,vinyl/polyester is way more expensive. Forget about how dirty white shoes get as soon as you walk in them. They are cool. Which leads me to another issue. The amount of white on your kids shoe is proportionate to the amount of red clay/dirt they have at your kids school. Guess how much our school has? So, the coolest pair of Puma's had one teeny tiny infinitesimal stripe of black. "What about this pair?" Nope. "But Mo-o-o-om. It's the only cool one!!" Of course it is. "All the other ones are ugly." Hmm-mm. I see. Easily distracted as 9 yr olds are I point out, I think, another cool pair. I get the eye roll & sigh. Which, by the way has made vast improvements since my youth. The eye roll itself has gotten soooo big it could easily be mistaken for a seizure...from a novice parent of course. Adidas & Nike's have apparently had their run. No longer cool, they sat being ignored. He finally saw a pair that I was willing to get. Until I saw the price. I don't pay $90.00 for my shoes!! They were cool however. Oddly enough there just happened to be a pair underneath them that was exactly the same. The only difference was it had no white at all. The 1 inch piece of leather had been dyed black. This made that shoe uncool. It also made it $49.99. While Reid was looking for other shoes I grabbed the nearest, cutest high school couple I could find. "Hi, how are you?' Great. "I'm not strange. I promise. One day you'll understand. Blah, blah, blah. Can you walk over there in a minute & tell that cute kid you like these shoes?" Sure, I used to do the same thing to my mom, blah, blah, blah. "Thanks." A few seconds later Abercrombie & Fitch said they liked the shoe..BAM! We're done shopping. We now have a black pair of Puma's & one pair of Adidas as well. (Abercrombie said she liked Adidas).

1 comment: